The Ethnic Geography Specialty Group (EGSG) is pleased to announce its annual Student Paper Competition. Students who have completed a research paper to present at the 2019 AAG are eligible to submit their research paper for adjudication in this competition. The EGSG Student Paper Committee will evaluate all submissions based on written clarity, methodological rigor, and overall contribution to ethnic geography scholarship. The winner will receive a $250 prize, a certificate, a ticket to the AAG Awards Luncheon, and formal recognition at the banquet and in the EGSG Newsletter.
Papers must be based on original research completed as an undergraduate or graduate student and must adhere to following:
1. To be considered for the award, students must present their research at the 2019 Annual Meeting of the AAG. Participants are strongly encourage to attend the EGSG business meeting.
2. The topic must be on some aspect of Ethnic Geography.
3. The text portion should be double-spaced and not exceed the twenty pages and the total length should not exceed thirty pages.
4. Papers co-authored with faculty will not be considered for student award. Papers by multiple students, however, are acceptable.
5. The paper must be sent to Jay L. Newberry (Student Paper Award Committee) by e-mail. If there are essential graphics which cannot be sent by e-mail, the author may send the graphic by mail.
6. The paper must be received no later than March 15th, 2019 at 11:59pm.
7. The paper will be judge by the committee members on written clarity, methodological soundness, contribution to scholarship in ethnic geography, and overall effectiveness. The paper presentation at the conference will not be considered in the scoring.
For further information, please contact Jay L. Newberry by email at jnewber [at] binghamton [dot] edu.
The 2019 Student Paper Competition Award Committee members are:
- Jay L. Newberry (chair), Binghamton University
- Kanika Verma, Texas Christian University
- Michael D. Webb, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
EGSG Student Paper Competition Award Recipients
|2017||Katherine Hannum||Kent State University|
|2017||Audrey Lumley-Sapanski||Penn State University|
|2016||Scott Markley||University of Tennessee|
|2015||Shaolu Yu||University of Connecticut|
|2014||Scott Basford||University of Tennessee|
|2012||Alexandra Giancarlo||Louisiana State University|
|2011||Yang Yang||Humboldt State University|
|2010||Melissa Kelly||University of Uppsala|
|2008||Alan Marcus||University of Massachusetts, Amherst|
|2007||Brian Dunbar||California State University, Northridge|
|2005||Katherine Nashleanas||University of Nebraska, Lincoln|
|2004||Qingfang Wang||University of Georgia|
|2002||Susan Hume||University of Oregon|
|2001||Ranu Basu||University of Toronto|
|2000||Emily Skop||Arizona State University|